On Friday, we have an opportunity to make the day extra pleasant for everyone with National Say Something Nice Day.
History of National Say Something Nice Day
June 1, National Say Something Nice Day, is an unofficial holiday that’s said to have originated in Charleston, South Carolina. According to some, in 2006 the Mayor of Charleston, Keith Summey, proclaimed the day to recognize the communication efforts of specialist Dr. Mitch Carnell. Dr. Carnell is the author of the book “Say Something Nice: Be a Lifter at Work.” In his book, Carnell inspires people to be “lifters,” or people who are positive and always says something nice to whoever they meet.
By celebrating this holiday, FetchMe hopes that the practice of saying something nice today will inspire people to do the same tomorrow and people will begin lifting each other up instead of tearing each other down. Additionally, the holiday could help counteract bullying and the lack of civility and common courtesy that is growing in today’s world.
Above is Dr. Mitch Carnell, author of the book “Say Something Nice: Be a Lifter at Work.”
Spread the Happiness
In the end, the message of the day is that positivity goes a long way in spreading happiness and joy. When we are kind in our interactions with others, we receive positivity and kindness back. Additionally, this enriches our lives, makes us happy, and keeps us healthy. Studies have shown that happy people are healthier and live longer.
However, it’s also a day to remember and celebrate people who provide us with a variety of services, such as bus drivers, healthcare workers, teachers, and even your FetchMe drivers. And, it’s a great opportunity to apologize to people that we might have wronged or hurt through our behavior.
How to Celebrate?
- First, celebrate the day by saying something nice to everyone you meet. Remember, if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
- Or, if you can’t think of anything nice to say, maybe just call FetchMe. Let us help by catering lunch or The Bean’s coffee to your office to lift people’s spirits.
- Use this day to see the positive in people you usually do not like. Or, at least try.
- Leave a nice note or do something nice for a friend, family member, or co-worker.
- Bottom line: just be nice! Be nice to friends, foes, and strangers alike, and you will notice that you feel much better about yourself!
Did you know..
The saying “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all,” is often known as Thumper’s Law or Thumperian Principle? Thumper is a fictional rabbit character from Disney’s animated movie Bambi. Listen to the Thumper.